As promised, some photos of the doll I made for Kaiya for Christmas. I was so nervous that I'd completely muck it up but I must say, I'm pretty happy with the results. It certainly did help that my mom helped me. She cut the pattern and did the face and, as my hands were pretty battered by the end of my month of crazed knitting, She did the hand sewing. I think we make a pretty good team. We're going to keep practicing, now knowing what we would change.
The proportion is off. My fault, as she was drawing it out I felt that the body was just way too scrawny, now I know, and so she's kind of chunky. I also was not totally thrilled with downward slope of the eye line, but since I have made another doll head for a dolly I will making for River's first birthday next month, and I'm super happy with it. Practice makes perfect.
I used the dimensions found here (she is about 18 inches long) and followed this wonderful tutorial. The same doll maker who did the tutorial on Flickr also has one for wigs. And like I said, I was up quite late on Christmas Eve making her so more clothes are coming... soon.
The hat was one I made for River (this pattern) when she was just a wee babe, but not wee enough and so really only wore it once or twice. I'm happy to see it being used finally.