Monday, August 8, 2011

Goodness




All too often I am focusing on the negative things in my life that bog me down. Going back through my pictures yesterday I found these of Kaiya. She put on an impromptu dance for us, spinning, twirling, jumping. She is going to ballet class in September and so very excited. But, looking through these I couldn't help but marvel at what goodness there is in my life. What beauty and what joy. I used to be a really happy and upbeat person most of the time... I don't know where that went. Well, I guess if I'm honest with myself I do know... the events and the people that set my course astray. But that's really no excuse, is it? I read an article somewhere (I'm sorry, I can't find it now) about choosing happiness and you have to make it a habit. Even smiling can become a habit. I want to make happiness my habit, I want to bring joy back into my life... or recognize and participate in the joy that is already there. And, really, there is so much there.

I believe that bad attitudes and discontent in children start with the parents. I may get frustrated with my children being 'sassy' and fighting with one another but I know I have no one but myself to blame. Their attitudes are learned and I will be honest, I don't like my own attitude much of the time. And that's really not what I want to teach my children. I want to model a cheerful and peaceful disposition. Not only a habit but happiness is also contagious.

I've given a lot of thought about where I am in my life and what prevents me from being happy and peaceful and I've come to the conclusion it really is just bad habits and old patterns and it's time for them to go. I choose happiness. I choose peace in my life. What do you choose?