Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Falling Stars

For day 2 of our Michaelmas week we focused on the story of The Falling Stars. I have another, The Story of the Star Children, that I will read to them today. We painted pictures of stars... well, some of us did, others just painted. And we learned this song (found here);

At the end of summer on hot August nights,
Micha-el sends falling stars showing strength and light.
In the late night hours you fall,
showering your bright light on all.
Falling stars, falling stars, shoot across the sky,
Falling stars, falling stars, bring to earth your light.
Falling stars, falling stars, shoot across the sky,
Falling stars, falling stars, bring to earth your might.

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the first year we are celebrating Michaelmas. I wrote a bit last holiday season about my own struggle to put meaning and spirit into celebrations. I have spent a good deal of inner time reflecting on the festivals celebrated by the Waldorf community, the meaning behind them and how I can relate to them and pass them on to my children, while I am not Christian.
At first I found it really difficult to relate to, what seemed to be, religious celebrations. But, in time, I have learned to view them from another perspective. I no longer see them as 'religious celebrations' but, instead, festivals that celebrate and encourage the human spirit, and just so happen to use archetypal figures to do so.
I have written about this more today over on the Natural Kids blog. I hope you'll join me there.
Photobucket
Today we will search for Michaelmas daisies and pour our candle to begin lighting tomorrow. How are you celebrating?


P.S. Don't forget to enter to win a sweet bunny.