Tuesday, August 2, 2011

And Then They were Naked

Well, it's about time, I know. I've been meaning to shear the sheep since early June but for this reason and that I just haven't been able to do til now, er, one, two weeks ago? Life is a blur at the moment, so don't ask me. Anyway, they're done! I don't have electric shears, not that I would use them if I did, because frankly, they're scary. Maybe next year. I could have bought hand shears, they're cheap enough. But, they're kinda huge and I don't know what I'm doing. But, at least I can admit it, right? My thinking was, smaller shears are going to give me more control and maybe I won't end up taking a chunk of flesh out. Well, by 'smaller shears' I mean scissors, my mom's sewing scissors, to be exact. (I only have one pair and she has two! What?) As you can imagine, this was a painstaking job.
Painstaking! This is going to sound so ridiculous (it does to me, anyway) but each sheep took three and a half hours. Thank goodness I only have two! Rosemary was so blasted wooly! But, man was it gorgeous. Finn, bless his sweet heart... his will be good for stuffing dolls and pillows and things. And he fought us so hard. My poor mama walked out covered in hoof prints and bruises and cuts. But, they're done! (I wore gloves because miss Rosemary isn't wiping properly after she uses the restroom and.. ick.)
Finn, waiting his turn.
Look at that! It doesn't even look like the same sheep. I know they're so much more comfortable.
We learned a ton and hopefully next year they'll be less nervous and so will I.


He's a handsome devil, isn't he?

P.S. Go back one post and enter to win this sweet sprite!