Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Birthday

Today is my husband's 30th birthday. What a wonderful moment he woke up to. I awoke to the smell of toast and the sound of little feet scurrying about in the kitchen. I could hear plates being pulled down from the shelf and stacked on top of one another. I heard something scrap along a wooden shelf, a sound I knew to be the big serving tray being taken off the shelf. Light clinks and thunks and much scurrying of those little feet. I lay still as Kaiya quietly dashed passed our room and went to the room she shares with her sisters. 'Wake up, Zoe. Zoe, wake up! It's Daddy's birthday! Come on!" Urgently whispering to her sister. They both head back to the kitchen and Kaiya asks Zoe to help her with the tray because it's heavy and tells her to sing 'Happy birthday to you, Daddy!'.
In they come, singing their own version of 'Happy Birthday' and carrying a heavy tray full of toast, jam, apples and homemade presents. Happy birthday, indeed!
Photobucket
I spent the day in the kitchen. Pretty much the whole day. I've been on a bit of a baking frenzy lately, taking much pleasure in trying new recipes, especially bread recipes. Money is really tight right now but I wanted to make Tait something special. Well, simple/special, which is what I do/like best.
Hummus. With extra garlic.
Photobucket
Naan. My first time making it. Love it and will make more. I baked it in the oven.
Photobucket
Cranberry walnut Swirl Bread, sans walnuts. Was supposed to be for breakfast but I was feeling lazy this morning so it's will be tomorrow's breakfast.
Photobucket
Carrot cupcakes.... from a mix! I asked him what kind of cake he wanted and he said carrot cake... 'Just buy a box.' I thought I'd take a break and just do it the easy way. Then I spent the whole day in the kitchen kneading 2 different types of bread and making hummus. Oh, well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
They were well received.

I'll be back tomorrow with some homeschooling inspiration.